Skip to main content

THE WINDOW



Have you gazed out of your window? Of course you have. But have you seen beyond your little world of fears and losses and possibilities and refurbished hope? Maybe you did. You have a broad heart then. My heart, on the contrary, has always been of a rather unimpressive dimension. It has always locked the world away so that it can toy with its own compartmentalized issues. Should I blame it for what it is? Probably not... After all, this place that I live in- the town, the state and the country does not reveal too many encouraging pictures. I have stopped taking a look at the newspapers. Even when I do, it is mainly to read some sports or celebrity news or to see the economic developments, though the economic trend is generally negative. I hail from a business family and my job at present is to figure out relevant marketing strategies for our software-related services. In short, when everything around seems to be in shambles or at least going towards that direction, I am to look at the growth of my company and make sure that I manage to deliver the results at any cost. I see nothing wrong there as our company is only responsible for the security and benefits of our own employees and the satisfaction of our clients.

What about the responsibility at large? Who is to blame for the general suffering? Now, these are highly clichéd questions and similar ones fill up the pages of the newspapers which I tend to avoid. So, why do I suddenly feel like wasting my time? It is a known fact that writing requires more effort than reading and here I am indulging in an act of writing such things that I didn’t want to read. Let’s see if I can do justice to that instinct which compelled me to take up the laptop and start typing in the first place.
My house is an old one in a town where neither agriculture nor industry rules. It is one of those utterly confused products of Indian history. Nobody seems to know what this town was all about before the birth of the first Bengali novelist. In fact, nobody seems to know what became of it after the death of the great man. Nowadays, all that steals the show is the highly imposing structure of an educational institution which never gets tired of expanding its territory, both on the ground and above it though the academic intent behind this is clear. It is yet another confusing phenomenon that Indians have become immune to observing.

Now, it is this institution that opened my eyes for the first time to see the world outside in a new light. My old house has an old window that brings in fresh air from the south. It has always done so, even before I was born. The early morning southern breeze has been an old friend that soothes my selfish heart and gives my dreams the wings of wild imagination to embark upon mightier journeys When I return home at night, sapped by the day’s work as also on days that I stay back home, I view the world through that window again. At night, it shows me a different picture of myself- a person whose dreams are but dreams. The street light outside used to be pale yellow and horribly morbid for such a weary mind. But thanks to the otherwise ineffective system, that street and my mind both get the aid of a bright white light. This gives me the strength to pass the night with fortitude and wait for the morning cup of coffee and the sunlight to fill me up with a new aspiration to greatness.

On such a morning, a few days ago, my inward gaze switched off for a while and gave way to a sight that completely startled me. As I sat on the chair with rejuvenated ideas about how to make my life a success, my eyes caught sight of a sun-burnt, lean figure of a man who looked much older than his years. His rib cage shone bright in the sunlight and when he bent over to pick up the bricks he looked like the keys of a strange, brown piano. I had known this person all throughout. But his lack of achievements never really made him a man to be considered. He was the son of a rickshaw-puller and he himself was a goldsmith of limited means who toiled day in and day out for a paltry wage that couldn't allow him to hire masons to build a little house. I remember how his father used to take me to the station on his rickshaw when I was a little boy. This rickshaw ride was one of the three phases of my rather long journey to my school. The old man was so proud of this borrowed contraption of his that he would keep telling me how he is going to make it the most attractive rickshaw in the whole town. His taste, even at that age, was not very favourable in my eyes. The synthetic flowers on the handle, the loud paint at the back, the glittering ribbons wound round the spokes were too garish for my eyes to bear. In fact, I used to feel a sort of latent shame when he took me to the station and it was not long before I shook him out of my life and moved on to a fancy bicycle that more suited my boyish sense of vanity. As the years passed, the old man could no longer pull the burden of other men and he took to his feet to drag his own weight for the remaining few years of his life. The vehicle was gone, probably rent out by its owner to a fresh pair of legs, and so was the spirit of the old man. He was found dwindling away- gambling by the street drinking cheap liquor and coughing up blood.

My life moved on from school to college to university to office and my taste kept growing narrower. The chosen shirts and the trousers, the cufflinks, the ties, the blazers, the gadgets, the music, the movies, the cigarettes, the friends, the women- all were narrowed down to a selected few. This choice was not based on the richness of heart but rather on the theory of material and intellectual relativity. I do regret at times that my education charted out a course for me which made me close down all the windows instead of open them all up. Thankfully, my ancestral house standing tall on the good old soil of this good old town, still drew me to that window so that someday, my education could reach a state of completion. So here I was, standing there and seeing for the first time in nearly two and a half decades, the dignity of honest labour. The son of a rickshaw puller, himself a poor man, trying to build up a sturdy house for his own tiny son, his wife and his ailing parents caught my fancy like never before. When my mother came into the room with the carefully brewed cups of coffee, I asked her about this family. She informed me that the old man was suffering from cancer and the land on which their humble hut stood, had suddenly been claimed as the property of a rich man and was being sold off to the mighty educational institution. His son, after literally begging for days, had managed to draw the sympathy of the authorities and was allowed to have a little stretch of green on the fringes of the disputed acres and was building his house with his own hands.

I went off to work that day and kept track of the progress that the man made over a span of seven months. Now, the land is sold, the huts have been razed to the ground and the families have moved off to new places and there seems to have been some compensatory means that were arranged for the relocation. The entire expanse of land upon which nine families once lived, looked like a cemetery of rubble just four months ago when the huts were all broken down and the area cordoned off by a massive brick wall.But what pulls me to that window these days is the unceasing fight of two mighty forces against this destruction. One of these forces is definitely the brown-skinned man whose brick house is now complete, though his father isn't alive to have seen this miracle. The other force is that which the grand old novelist once referred to as sujalang and sufalang- the strength of nature to re-establish order by bringing about the birth of dashing greenery out of the dead pile of huts. No matter who claims what, nature ultimately claims it all back and this wall-bound land is now home to a beautiful wilderness that seems to shout out the story of the man whose ribs played out a cheerful tune under the sun even in the face of calamity. He took responsibility of four heads and never complained a bit. Though he lost one of these dependents in the battle for life, his son now has a good house and goes to a decent school.

What I now see is the fresh, green land and the little boy in his uniform, holding his father’s hand as he takes confident steps towards his temple of education. I hope with all my heart that he grows up to be a man, not closed in his own world of dreams but, strong enough to take on huge responsibilities and not just of four heads, but of millions. Maybe I will get back to reading the newspapers someday. Until then…
                                                                      Aritra Chakrabarti


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A POINT OF NO RETURN

When I looked into your eyes, I could see the pain. And I could tell That I was the cause of it. But I know myself too well. I could not apologise. I could not sacrifice that Inflated ego of mine. I knew that the fault was mine. But I was too proud Or maybe too scared To admit that I could be wrong. I let you leave without a word. I tried and I tried But the words did not come. I saw the last turn that you took. Slowly you faded away Into the distance- Far, far away… Too far for me to get you back. The distance was created long back. But this feeling was so new. Maybe I could still make amends. But I stood numb as you le ft.  

WHICH WAY OUT?

Here I see a sinking ship. Only me in it… Slowly the water Reaches my feet… I can’t swim. I can’t think. The brain is numb, The feet are frozen. The hands don’t move, The tongue is parched. What’s the point? Why even try? Let’s sit here. Let’s go down… The eyes soak in The lovely blue Of the sky and the sea- A blue that seems so new. What’s there in life? Never saw this blue When I lived… Did I live? Did I love? Was I loved? Who will cry? And for how long? Doesn’t matter now… I don’t care… Let’s wait and watch… Let’s be one with the blue… Here I sink… Or do I rise? I embrace the blue. But I don’t feel wet anymore. Sea or sky? Where am I? Am I free? “Never” cried a voice. And I touched the old soil Of love, hatred and recoil… Even death played a trick I feel so sick… A betrayed little dog Back on earth to slog…

THE FIRE-FLY

So late into the night, A pale yellow light, The room is all so gloomy. The sorry wreck of myself Perched on the chair, Hitting some notes On the faithful old guitar. The fingers find their way To the chords that may Drive in some fun. But the melancholy minors Are always there to  stay. Oh! A fire-fly! What a delight! Full of it’s happy light… Near the corner of the room It sits down to rest, Spreading its light all along.  I partake of the happiness And the guitar responds With such vigour and joy That the gloom of the room Seems like misty history. The fire-fly starts feeling restless. So much of joy… So hard to contain… Its job is done. It has made me feel so good. Now it can leave And spread the mood around. It takes off, hovers in the air, Goes higher, takes a swing… And oh!!The cruel blade- The return-gift from humanity… It drops down on the table, Its light slowly fading out… I keep staring a