Skip to main content

CHOCOLATE AND CREAM


Out on the busy road
You live in your lonely dream.
Walking among the frantic rats
You can’t hear them scream.

Far away in a good old town
Life is still at ease.
In the world of fretting souls
Your time’s but on lease.

Humming to your favourite tune
You dream of that old town.
While bumping into busy men
You’re greeted with a frown.

Walking on for a few more steps
You trample on a zebra’s face.
It hasn’t got any eyebrows yet.
You may pass with grace.

In that town they sing old songs,
They eat and drink and make merry.
While you cling on to the few more steps
Before the walk gets weary.

Another block before you stop
And look at the building ahead.
 Where they dig up new stones with digital drills
And pile them up on your head.


A few more walks and internal talks
And the walks too will lose their worth
When you will carry the weight along
And the burden’s what you’ll carry forth.

Right beside you there are a heads few
That may like the noise and the stones
They drill on well and laugh when they do
They’ve made peace with their daily roles.

Walk back and take a turn
Towards the town of your dream.
Where the walk and it’s end both bring a smile
Find your town of chocolate and cream.

Aritra Chakrabarti.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A POINT OF NO RETURN

When I looked into your eyes, I could see the pain. And I could tell That I was the cause of it. But I know myself too well. I could not apologise. I could not sacrifice that Inflated ego of mine. I knew that the fault was mine. But I was too proud Or maybe too scared To admit that I could be wrong. I let you leave without a word. I tried and I tried But the words did not come. I saw the last turn that you took. Slowly you faded away Into the distance- Far, far away… Too far for me to get you back. The distance was created long back. But this feeling was so new. Maybe I could still make amends. But I stood numb as you le ft.  

WHICH WAY OUT?

Here I see a sinking ship. Only me in it… Slowly the water Reaches my feet… I can’t swim. I can’t think. The brain is numb, The feet are frozen. The hands don’t move, The tongue is parched. What’s the point? Why even try? Let’s sit here. Let’s go down… The eyes soak in The lovely blue Of the sky and the sea- A blue that seems so new. What’s there in life? Never saw this blue When I lived… Did I live? Did I love? Was I loved? Who will cry? And for how long? Doesn’t matter now… I don’t care… Let’s wait and watch… Let’s be one with the blue… Here I sink… Or do I rise? I embrace the blue. But I don’t feel wet anymore. Sea or sky? Where am I? Am I free? “Never” cried a voice. And I touched the old soil Of love, hatred and recoil… Even death played a trick I feel so sick… A betrayed little dog Back on earth to slog…

THE FIRE-FLY

So late into the night, A pale yellow light, The room is all so gloomy. The sorry wreck of myself Perched on the chair, Hitting some notes On the faithful old guitar. The fingers find their way To the chords that may Drive in some fun. But the melancholy minors Are always there to  stay. Oh! A fire-fly! What a delight! Full of it’s happy light… Near the corner of the room It sits down to rest, Spreading its light all along.  I partake of the happiness And the guitar responds With such vigour and joy That the gloom of the room Seems like misty history. The fire-fly starts feeling restless. So much of joy… So hard to contain… Its job is done. It has made me feel so good. Now it can leave And spread the mood around. It takes off, hovers in the air, Goes higher, takes a swing… And oh!!The cruel blade- The return-gift from humanity… It drops down on the table, Its light slowly fading out… I keep staring a